Apple pie, a timeless American dessert, evokes images of warm, spiced apples nestled within a flaky, golden crust. Its sweet and comforting aroma fills the kitchen, and the first bite transports you to a place of nostalgia and homey warmth. Whether it’s a holiday feast, a casual get-together, or a simple craving for a taste of tradition, a classic apple pie is a beloved treat for all occasions.
In this recipe, we’ll guide you through the steps to create your own homemade apple pie, complete with a buttery, tender crust and a luscious, cinnamon-kissed apple filling. So, preheat your oven, roll up your sleeves, and let’s embark on a culinary journey to create the perfect apple pie that will have everyone coming back for seconds.
Certainly! Here’s a classic recipe for apple pie:
For the Apple Pie Crust:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 6-8 tablespoons ice water
For the Filling:
- 6-7 cups of thinly sliced, peeled apples (such as Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, or Fuji)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
For the Egg Wash:
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk
For the Pie Crust:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt.
- Add the cold, cubed butter to the flour mixture.
- Use a pastry cutter or your fingers to work the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Slowly add ice water, one tablespoon at a time, and mix until the dough starts to come together. Be careful not to add too much water; the dough should be just moist enough to stick together.
- Divide the dough in half, shape each half into a disk, and wrap them in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
For the Filling:
- In a large bowl, combine the sliced apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and lemon juice. Toss to coat the apples evenly.
To Assemble the Pie:
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Roll out one of the pie crust disks on a floured surface to fit a 9-inch pie dish. Carefully place the rolled-out crust in the pie dish, trimming any excess overhang.
- Pour the apple filling into the pie crust, spreading it out evenly.
- Dot the filling with small pieces of butter.
- Roll out the second pie crust disk and place it over the filling. Trim any excess overhang and crimp the edges to seal the pie.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the beaten egg and milk to make an egg wash. Brush the top crust with the egg wash.
- Cut a few small slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet to catch any drips. Bake in the preheated oven for 45-55 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown, and the filling is bubbling.
- If the edges of the crust begin to brown too quickly, you can cover them with aluminum foil to prevent burning.
- Allow the pie to cool for a few hours before serving. This allows the filling to set.