Prawn Coconut Curry (Siddika Kabir‘s Recipe)
Prawn Coconut Curry is a mouth-watering Bengali delicacy that combines succulent prawns with creamy coconut milk and aromatic spices. This dish is a favorite among seafood lovers and is known for its rich and comforting flavors. Today, we will be sharing a traditional recipe for Prawn Coconut Curry from the renowned chef and cookbook author, Siddika Kabir. Follow these simple steps to create a delicious and satisfying meal that will transport your taste buds to the exotic flavors of Bengal.
- 1 lb large prawns, cleaned and deveined
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 green chilies, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inch ginger, minced
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp ghee (clarified butter)
- In a bowl, mix together cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder, and salt. Add the prawns and mix well to coat evenly. Set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the chopped onions, green chilies, garlic, and ginger, and sauté until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the prawns to the pan and cook until they turn pink, about 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Pour in the coconut milk and sugar, and stir well. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until the sauce thickens and the prawns are cooked through.
- Finally, add the ghee and stir to combine. Remove from heat and serve hot with steamed rice. Enjoy your delicious Chingri Malaikari!