Homemade Chicken Stew Recipe
Chicken stew is a classic comfort food that is hearty, filling, and perfect for cold weather. This recipe combines tender chicken with a variety of vegetables and savory broth to create a delicious and satisfying meal. It’s easy to make and can be customized with your favorite vegetables and seasonings. Serve it with some crusty bread or overcooked rice for a complete and satisfying meal. Let’s get started!
Here’s a recipe for chicken stew:
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pot and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pot and sauté until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots, celery, and potatoes to the pot and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and stir until everything is coated. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, thyme, bay leaf, and chicken back into the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is cooked through.
- Add the frozen peas to the pot and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Remove the bay leaf and discard. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot, with crusty bread or over cooked rice, if desired.