Breakfast Idli recipe is a healthy and popular breakfast dish in South India that is enjoyed by people all over the world. This versatile dish can be made in many different ways, and today we will be sharing a recipe for breakfast-style idli that is filling, nutritious, and delicious.
This recipe is perfect for a quick and easy breakfast that will keep you full until lunchtime. So, let’s get started!
Here’s the recipe to make delicious idlis at home:
- 1 cup parboiled rice
- 1 cup urad dal
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Water as required
- Wash the rice and urad dal separately in water and soak them in enough water for 4-6 hours.
- If using fenugreek seeds, soak them along with the urad dal.
- After soaking, drain the water from the rice and grind it into a smooth batter using a blender or wet grinder. Add water as required to get a smooth batter.
- Transfer the batter to a large mixing bowl.
- Drain the water from the urad dal and grind it into a smooth batter. Add water as required to get a smooth and fluffy batter.
- Add the urad dal batter to the rice batter and mix well using your hands. Add salt to taste and mix well again.
- Cover the bowl with a lid and keep it in a warm place to ferment for 8-10 hours or overnight. The batter will rise and become fluffy after fermentation.
- Once the batter is fermented, mix it gently and add some water to get the desired consistency.
- Grease the idli plates with oil and pour the batter into the molds, filling them about 3/4th full.
- Steam the idlis in a steamer for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Once done, remove the idli plates from the steamer and let them cool for a few minutes.
- Gently remove the idlis from the molds using a spoon and serve hot with coconut chutney or sambar.
Your delicious and healthy idlis are ready to be served!
With a hint of spices and the goodness of fresh herbs like cilantro and curry leaves, this breakfast idli recipe is a perfect way to start your day on a healthy note.